Bill Witkowski – Conservator
Michigan Antique Preservation Co. was founded in 1982 and specializes in the conservation of antique furniture, frames and small wooden objects. Mr. Witkowski is a member of the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works (AIC). He has gained the status of Professional Associate after a board review of his peers.
In 1976 Mr. Witkowski began training under John Conrad, of Southfield, Michigan, a third generation cabinet maker, and finisher.
After practicing restoration for ten years, Mr. Witkowski continued building his skills. He has attended the Furniture Conservation Training Program at the Smithsonian Institution and continues to build his skills through seminars and workshops.
Bill now offers lectures to organizations on furniture conservation to colleagues, and how to care for your furniture to the general public.
Who specializes in Gilding and Finish Matching, has been with Michigan Antique Preservation Company since 1992.
Gilding Conservation taught by Jonathan Thornton Professor of Conservation, Buffalo State University.
By combining the crafts of cabinet- making and finishing, today’s science and technology, and the respect for the integrity of antiques, we are able to provide sensitive treatments designed specifically for your treasured objects.
Bill Witkowski Conservator
Courses taken at the Smithsonian include
- History of Furniture (European and American)
- Examination, Analysis and Documentation
- Structural Conservation
- Coatings for Conservation
- Color theory and technology
- Finishing techniques and treatments
- Painted furniture
- Decorated finishes, technology & treatments
- Conservation of Gilt Wood
- Marquetry and Boulle (workshop)
- Inlay Making (workshop)
- Leather Conservation
- New Methods in Cleaning
taught by Richard Wolbers of the Winterthur Museum
- Wood Identification taught by R. Bruce Hoadly, Professor of Wood Technology University of Massachusetts.
- Gilding Conservation taught by Jonathan Thornton Professor of Conservation Buffalo State University.